Tips for Parents Raising Digital Citizens
It is our responsibility as parents to teach our children about online safety and responsible digital citizenship.
- Talk with your children about online safety and manners, and listen to their concerns.
- Review online activity including mobile apps, texting, posting, and contact lists.
- “Friend” your child on Facebook. Follow them on Twitter. Participate in the same social media platforms as they do.
- Use everyday opportunities – such as TV shows, movies, news stories – to discuss appropriate online behaviors and consequences of inappropriate activity.
- Stay up-to-date and informed with new technologies, up and-coming apps/games, and privacy policies.
- Avoid oversharing about your children. As parents, we are creating online reputations for our children before they have a say in creating them themselves with their own social media accounts.
- Use your own online behavior as a role model for your family, colleagues, and friends.