Pursuant to Texas Tech University Board of Regents Policy 11.02, the Athletic Council
is to advise the President of Texas Tech University on matters relating to the development
and supervision of intercollegiate athletic programs.
The Athletic Council shall:
- Review and make recommendations to the President on any matters pertaining to the
enforcement of and compliance with rules and regulations established by any athletic
conference or national association in which the University holds membership.
- Review and make recommendations to the President on any pertinent matters related
to the University’s intercollegiate athletic program.
The Athletic Council shall not have final authority to direct, control, or supervise
the operation or activities of the Department of Athletics or intercollegiate athletic
programs of the University.
The majority of the members of the Athletic Council shall be tenured faculty. All
faculty nominees are expected to have demonstrated a consistent interest in and support
for a strong intercollegiate athletics program and in maintaining a program of highest
integrity and academic excellence.
Section 1. The Athletic Council shall consist of eleven (11) voting members comprised as follows:
- Six (6) members shall be appointed from the faculty by the President.
- Three (3) members shall be appointed by the President from outside the faculty and
the administration of the University.
- One (1) member of the Council shall be appointed by the Texas Tech Alumni Association.
- One (1) member of the Council shall be a current member of the student body at Texas
Tech, appointed by the Texas Tech Student Government Association.
Section 2. The following policies also apply to membership of the Athletic Council:
- No member of the Board of Regents shall be appointed to the Council.
- Except as noted elsewhere in the Bylaws, all appointments are made by the President
of the University.
- Term of all appointees shall be for three-year terms except for the student member
who will serve a one year term. If exceptional conditions exist, the President may
extend a member's appointment. Members shall continue to perform their responsibilities
until a replacement is in place.
Section 3. Ex - Officio members of the council shall include the following:
- The designated representative of the President of the University.
- The Faculty Representative to the NCAA and Big 12 conference.
- The Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- The Senior Athletic Director / Senior Woman Administrator.
- The Associate Athletic Director – Compliance.
- The Associate Athletic Director – Internal Affairs.
Ex-officio members shall not have voting privileges on matters under consideration
or review by the Council.
Section 4. All members of the Athletic Council serve at the pleasure of the President. The President
may remove a member of the Council for actions that are inconsistent with University
policies related to its intercollegiate athletics program.
Section 1. Officers of the Council shall consist of a Chair and a Vice-Chair.
Section 2. The positions of Chair and Vice-Chair shall be appointed by the President of the University.
Section 3. The duties of the Chair and Vice-Chair shall be those customarily assigned to such
officers and such other duties as may be hereinafter designated.
Section 1. Meetings of the Athletic Council shall be held at least once each month except for
June and July or at the call of the chair.
Section 2. Special meetings may be called at any time by the Chair or by the request of four
(4) or more Council members upon giving notice to the members of not less than twenty-four
hours in advance or the time set for the call meeting. The notice shall be confirmed
The objective of the Athletic Council shall be to assist the President and the Athletic
Department in the promotion and oversight of the University’s intercollegiate athletic
program. The University is committed to academic and athletic integrity, equity, and
excellence. The Athletic Council seeks to promote that commitment by reviewing and
recommending policy, in full cooperation with the Athletic Department, within the
resources of the University and the rules and regulations of the University, the Big
12 conference, and NCAA. The specific duties and responsibilities of the Athletic
Council shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Recommend such policies, rules, and regulations as are necessary for the promotion
and oversight of the University’s intercollegiate athletics program.
- Review and evaluate, on a regular basis, the academic integrity of the University’s
intercollegiate athletics program.
- Review and evaluate, on a regular basis, the University’s activities and procedures
related to compliance with NCAA and Big 12 conference rules.
- Review and evaluate, on a regular basis, the fiscal integrity of the University’s
intercollegiate athletics program.
- Review and evaluate, on a regular basis, the University’s policies related to the
welfare of student-athletes, Title IX gender equity issues, and minority issues.
Section 1. The Athletic Council shall have four standing committees:
- Committee on Governance and Commitment to Rules Compliance,
- Committee on Academic Integrity,
- Committee on Fiscal Integrity, and
- Committee on Equity and Student-Athlete Well-Being.
Section 2. The membership of each standing committee shall be determined by the Chair and Vice-Chair
of the Athletic Council. The chair of each committee shall be one of the appointed
faculty members. Either the chair or Vice-Chair of the Council shall be an ex-officio
member of each committee. Each committee shall have as a resource member an appropriate
representative of the athletics department.
Section 3. The duties and responsibilities of each committee shall include but not be limited
to the following.
- Committee on Governance and Compliance
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness of the University’s NCAA rules compliance program.
An annual report shall be submitted to the Council summarizing the status of the rules
and compliance program.
- Receive and review as appropriate from the Director of Athletics and/or the Associate
Director of Compliance a review of the status and results of investigations and sanctions
imposed on the University’s athletics programs.
- Review and assess annually the effectiveness and status of the process for certifying
the eligibility of student athletes for intercollegiate athletics competition.
- Periodically review the Compliance Manual and the Athletic Department Policy and Procedures
Manual for currency and accuracy and make recommendations where appropriate.
- Periodically review the Athletics Department’s mission statement and monitor and evaluate
whether department operations are being conducted in agreement with the mission statement
and University, NCAA, and Big 12 conference policies.
- Periodically review and evaluate Athletic Department programs to educate athletic
department personnel, booster organization officials and members, student-athletes,
and prospective student-athletes on NCAA and Big 12 conference rules.
- Committee on Academic Integrity
- Review annually (or as appropriate) and in accordance with relevant privacy laws graduation
rates and academic progress of student-athletes and review actions taken by athletic
department personnel in response to unsatisfactory progress, poor class attendance,
low graduation rates, and other matters relating to the academic status of student-athletes.
- Periodically review and evaluate the effectiveness of policies and procedures used
to administer the athletics academic counseling program.
- Review on a regular basis the academic integrity of the intercollegiate athletics
- Periodically review policies on scheduling of intercollegiate athletic contests, team
practices, or other student-athlete responsibilities that potentially interfere with
academic responsibilities and examination schedules of student athletes.
- Assist the Department of Athletics with the development of a consistent academic policy
for student-athletes regarding class attendance, class participation, study hall attendance,
attendance at tutor sessions, etc. Periodically review the University’s process for
certifying the academic eligibility of student-athletes.
- Committee on Fiscal Integrity
- Review proposed Athletic Department budgets and submit recommendations as appropriate.
- Review the results of internal and external financial audits of the Athletic Department’s
- Periodically review policies and procedures for awarding grants-in-aid to student-athletes
and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Committee on Equity and Student Athlete Well-Being
- Periodically review and evaluate the code of conduct policies for student-athletes
- Periodically review procedures and guidelines used to discipline student-athletes
who violate team and/or University rules and assess the system used by the Athletics
Director to maintain control and ensure equity of action taken against student-athletes.
- Review the results of student-athlete exit interviews and evaluate procedures used
to evaluate findings from the exit interviews and actions taken in response to those
- Monitor and review the treatment of male, female, and minority student-athletes and
athletic department personnel for fairness, equity, and adherence to NCAA standards.
- Monitor and review all matters related to compliance with Title IX.
Section 4. Each committee shall present an annual report to the Athletic Council summarizing
its activity and work during the academic year and indicating specific matters or
concerns that should continue to be monitored the following year. The annual reports
shall be given as scheduled by the Chair of the Athletic Council. In turn, the Athletic
Council shall submit a composite report each year to the President
Section 5. The Athletic Council shall establish ad hoc committees as the Council deems necessary.
Section 1. Amendment or revision of the Bylaws may be made only after having been read at two
successive meetings of the Athletic Council, followed by a two-thirds affirmative
vote of the voting membership of the Council.