ARTICLE I: Charge
Pursuant to Texas Tech University Board of Regents Policy 11.02, the Athletic Council is to advise the President of Texas Tech University on matters relating to the development and supervision of intercollegiate athletic programs.
The Athletic Council shall:
- Review and make recommendations to the President on any matters pertaining to the enforcement of and compliance with rules and regulations established by any athletic conference or national association in which the University holds membership.
- Review and make recommendations to the President on any pertinent matters related to the University’s intercollegiate athletic program.
The Athletic Council shall not have final authority to direct, control, or supervise the operation or activities of the Department of Athletics or intercollegiate athletic programs of the University.
ARTICLE II: Membership
The majority of the members of the Athletic Council shall be tenured faculty. All faculty nominees are expected to have demonstrated a consistent interest in and support for a strong intercollegiate athletics program and in maintaining a program of highest integrity and academic excellence.
Section 1. The Athletic Council shall consist of eleven (11) voting members comprised as follows:
- Six (6) members shall be appointed from the faculty by the President.
- Three (3) members shall be appointed by the President from outside the faculty and the administration of the University.
- One (1) member of the Council shall be appointed by the Texas Tech Alumni Association.
- One (1) member of the Council shall be a current member of the student body at Texas Tech, appointed by the Texas Tech Student Government Association.
Section 2. The following policies also apply to membership of the Athletic Council:
- No member of the Board of Regents shall be appointed to the Council.
- Except as noted elsewhere in the Bylaws, all appointments are made by the President of the University.
- Term of all appointees shall be for three-year terms except for the student member who will serve a one year term. If exceptional conditions exist, the President may extend a member's appointment. Members shall continue to perform their responsibilities until a replacement is in place.
Section 3. Ex - Officio members of the council shall include the following:
- The designated representative of the President of the University.
- The Faculty Representative to the NCAA and Big 12 conference.
- The Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- The Senior Athletic Director / Senior Woman Administrator.
- The Associate Athletic Director – Compliance.
- The Associate Athletic Director – Internal Affairs.
Ex-officio members shall not have voting privileges on matters under consideration or review by the Council.
Section 4. All members of the Athletic Council serve at the pleasure of the President. The President may remove a member of the Council for actions that are inconsistent with University policies related to its intercollegiate athletics program.
ARTICLE III: Officers
Section 1. Officers of the Council shall consist of a Chair and a Vice-Chair.
Section 2. The positions of Chair and Vice-Chair shall be appointed by the President of the University.
Section 3. The duties of the Chair and Vice-Chair shall be those customarily assigned to such officers and such other duties as may be hereinafter designated.
ARTICLE IV: Meetings
Section 1. Meetings of the Athletic Council shall be held at least once each month except for June and July or at the call of the chair.
Section 2. Special meetings may be called at any time by the Chair or by the request of four (4) or more Council members upon giving notice to the members of not less than twenty-four hours in advance or the time set for the call meeting. The notice shall be confirmed in writing.
ARTICLE V: Duties and Responsibilities
The objective of the Athletic Council shall be to assist the President and the Athletic Department in the promotion and oversight of the University’s intercollegiate athletic program. The University is committed to academic and athletic integrity, equity, and excellence. The Athletic Council seeks to promote that commitment by reviewing and recommending policy, in full cooperation with the Athletic Department, within the resources of the University and the rules and regulations of the University, the Big 12 conference, and NCAA. The specific duties and responsibilities of the Athletic Council shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Recommend such policies, rules, and regulations as are necessary for the promotion and oversight of the University’s intercollegiate athletics program.
- Review and evaluate, on a regular basis, the academic integrity of the University’s intercollegiate athletics program.
- Review and evaluate, on a regular basis, the University’s activities and procedures related to compliance with NCAA and Big 12 conference rules.
- Review and evaluate, on a regular basis, the fiscal integrity of the University’s intercollegiate athletics program.
- Review and evaluate, on a regular basis, the University’s policies related to the welfare of student-athletes, Title IX gender equity issues, and minority issues.
ARTICLE VI: Committees and their Duties
Section 1. The Athletic Council shall have four standing committees:
- Committee on Governance and Commitment to Rules Compliance,
- Committee on Academic Integrity,
- Committee on Fiscal Integrity, and
- Committee on Equity and Student-Athlete Well-Being.
Section 2. The membership of each standing committee shall be determined by the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Athletic Council. The chair of each committee shall be one of the appointed faculty members. Either the chair or Vice-Chair of the Council shall be an ex-officio member of each committee. Each committee shall have as a resource member an appropriate representative of the athletics department.
Section 3. The duties and responsibilities of each committee shall include but not be limited to the following.
- Committee on Governance and Compliance
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness of the University’s NCAA rules compliance program. An annual report shall be submitted to the Council summarizing the status of the rules and compliance program.
- Receive and review as appropriate from the Director of Athletics and/or the Associate Director of Compliance a review of the status and results of investigations and sanctions imposed on the University’s athletics programs.
- Review and assess annually the effectiveness and status of the process for certifying the eligibility of student athletes for intercollegiate athletics competition.
- Periodically review the Compliance Manual and the Athletic Department Policy and Procedures Manual for currency and accuracy and make recommendations where appropriate.
- Periodically review the Athletics Department’s mission statement and monitor and evaluate whether department operations are being conducted in agreement with the mission statement and University, NCAA, and Big 12 conference policies.
- Periodically review and evaluate Athletic Department programs to educate athletic department personnel, booster organization officials and members, student-athletes, and prospective student-athletes on NCAA and Big 12 conference rules.
- Committee on Academic Integrity
- Review annually (or as appropriate) and in accordance with relevant privacy laws graduation rates and academic progress of student-athletes and review actions taken by athletic department personnel in response to unsatisfactory progress, poor class attendance, low graduation rates, and other matters relating to the academic status of student-athletes.
- Periodically review and evaluate the effectiveness of policies and procedures used to administer the athletics academic counseling program.
- Review on a regular basis the academic integrity of the intercollegiate athletics program.
- Periodically review policies on scheduling of intercollegiate athletic contests, team practices, or other student-athlete responsibilities that potentially interfere with academic responsibilities and examination schedules of student athletes.
- Assist the Department of Athletics with the development of a consistent academic policy for student-athletes regarding class attendance, class participation, study hall attendance, attendance at tutor sessions, etc. Periodically review the University’s process for certifying the academic eligibility of student-athletes.
- Committee on Fiscal Integrity
- Review proposed Athletic Department budgets and submit recommendations as appropriate.
- Review the results of internal and external financial audits of the Athletic Department’s operations.
- Periodically review policies and procedures for awarding grants-in-aid to student-athletes and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Committee on Equity and Student Athlete Well-Being
- Periodically review and evaluate the code of conduct policies for student-athletes and coaches.
- Periodically review procedures and guidelines used to discipline student-athletes who violate team and/or University rules and assess the system used by the Athletics Director to maintain control and ensure equity of action taken against student-athletes.
- Review the results of student-athlete exit interviews and evaluate procedures used to evaluate findings from the exit interviews and actions taken in response to those findings.
- Monitor and review the treatment of male, female, and minority student-athletes and athletic department personnel for fairness, equity, and adherence to NCAA standards.
- Monitor and review all matters related to compliance with Title IX.
Section 4. Each committee shall present an annual report to the Athletic Council summarizing its activity and work during the academic year and indicating specific matters or concerns that should continue to be monitored the following year. The annual reports shall be given as scheduled by the Chair of the Athletic Council. In turn, the Athletic Council shall submit a composite report each year to the President
Section 5. The Athletic Council shall establish ad hoc committees as the Council deems necessary.
ARTICLE VII: Amending the Bylaws
Section 1. Amendment or revision of the Bylaws may be made only after having been read at two successive meetings of the Athletic Council, followed by a two-thirds affirmative vote of the voting membership of the Council.
Amended: November 5, 1998, October 2000, February 2002, August 21, 2002, August 12, 2003, February 27, 2008, April 18, 2011.
Athletic Council Members
Dr. Hansel Burley
College of Education
Journalism and Electronic Media
College of Media and Communication
President, Student Government Association
Rawls College of Business
Agricultural and Applied Economics
College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
Department of Athletics
Faculty Athletic Representative to the NCAA & Big 12
School of Law
Associate Director of Intercollegiate Athletics – Compliance Department of Athletics
Senior Associate Athletic Director and Senior Woman Administrator
Department of Athletics