Texas Tech Seal
Designed by the campus' master planner, William Ward Watkin, in 1924, the Tech Seal's symbols are the lamp, which represents "school," the key for "home," the book for "church," and the star for "state." Cotton bolls represent the area's strong cotton industry and the eagle is suggestive of our country. The seal first appeared on Tech diplomas in 1948, but it wasn't officially approved as "The" Seal of Texas Tech University until 1953. On April 27, 1972, the seal was placed at the Broadway and University entrance to the campus in what became known as the Amon G. Carter Plaza. It is made of red granite and stands 12 feet high. It has been referred to by students through the years as "the Oreo."