Bylaws of the Strategic Planning Council of Texas Tech University
(Approved by the Strategic Planning Council, August 11, 2009)
ARTICLE I: Charge
The Strategic Planning Council advises the President of Texas Tech University in the development and supervision of the University’s strategic planning efforts.
- The Council will consider matters pertaining to strategic planning, including an ongoing review of and suggested revisions to the University’s strategic plan and the University’s assessment procedures.
- The Council shall provide an annual report to the President summarizing the University’s strategic planning efforts. The report will be submitted June 1.
The President has final authority to direct, control, or supervise the activities relating to the University’s strategic planning efforts.
ARTICLE II: Membership
Section 1. The Strategic Planning Council shall be comprised of thirteen (13) voting members as follows:
- Four members shall be from the faculty of the University. The Faculty Senate will be asked to nominate individuals.
- Three members shall be from the staff of the University. The Staff Senate will be asked to nominate individuals.
- Three deans of College and Schools shall be appointed by the Provost.
- One member shall be from the undergraduate student body at Texas Tech. The Student Senate will be asked to nominate an individual.
- One member shall be from the graduate student body at Texas Tech. The Graduate Student Senate will be asked to nominate an individual.
- One member shall be from outside the University community.
Section 2. Council membership will also include non-voting ex-officio members as follows:
- Provost and Senior Vice President, who serves as the Chairperson
- Vice Provost of Planning and Assessment
- Managing Director, Institutional Research and Information Management
- Chief of Staff to the President
- Vice President of Research
- Senior Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
- Vice President of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement
- Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance
- Other representatives to be appointed by the Provost who have direct responsibility for an institution-wide strategic plan goal or benchmark.
Section 3. The President, in consultation with the Provost and senates, will make all appointments. The President shall consider all nominations; however, appointments are not limited to those nominated. Terms for all appointments are two years, except for the student members who will serve one-year terms. Terms end on August 31. Members may be reappointed.
ARTICLE III: Chairperson
The Provost serves as the Chairperson of the Strategic Planning Council and will be appointed by the President to will serve an indefinite term. The Provost may appoint a vice-chairperson or designate an individual to convene meetings during periods of absence.
ARTICLE IV: Actions of the Council
Formal actions and recommendations of the Council require majority vote from all members of the Council. Most often, votes should be taken during Council meetings. However, the Chair may request for a vote via e-mail or other means. The results from any vote must be reported to all members.
ARTICLE V: Meetings
Section 1. Meeting of the Strategic Planning Council will be held at least once each month with the exception of June, July and August.
Section 2. Special meetings may be called when necessary by the Chair or by the request of five (5) or more Council members. In all cases, the Chair of the Council schedules and announces the meetings. When requested by Council members, the called meeting must be held within one week of the request.
Section 3. Minutes of all meetings must be distributed to Council members for approval at the next meeting of the Council. Minutes of the meetings are to be approved by voting members of the Council. Approved minutes will be distributed to all members of the Council and the President.
ARTICLE VI: Committees
The Chair of the Strategic Planning Council may appoint committees to address specific issues related to strategic planning and assessment. Committee reports will be submitted to the Strategic Planning Council for review and discussion. Committee recommendations receiving majority support from the Strategic Planning Council will be forwarded officially to the Vice Provost for Planning and Assessment, the Provost and the President.
ARTICLE VII: Reports
An annual report describing the work of the Strategic Planning Council and summarizing the University’s strategic planning efforts will be submitted to the President by June 1 of each year. Other reports may be submitted by the Council as appropriate.
ARTICLE VIII: Amending the Bylaws
Amendment or revision of the Bylaws may be made only after having been read at two successive meetings of the Council, followed by a two-thirds affirmative vote of the voting members of the Council.