Dr. Juan Sanchez Munoz
Dr. Muñoz is currently Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and Senior Vice President for Institutional Diversity Equity, and Community Engagement. As a Vice President and Vice Provost, Dr. Muñoz serves on the President's Administrative Council, Provost Staff, Dean's Council, Academic Council, Strategic Planning Council, Strategic Enrollment Planning Council, University Budget Working Group, and is the Chair of the TTUS, Outreach and Engagement System Priority.
A component of Dr. Muñoz's portfolio as Vice Provost and Senior Vice President, includes the oversight of university wide academic support units including; the Academic Testing Center, University Advising Center, the Center for Undergraduate Research, the Faculty Professional Development Center, and Women's Studies Program, Military & Veteran Programs, and Support Operations for Academic Retention. As a representative of Texas Tech University, Dr. Muñoz serves on the Association of Public and Land Grant University's Commission on Access, Diversity and Excellence, is a member of the Board of Directors, National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education, and has been an appointed member of the Planning Committee for the National Outreach Scholarship Conference. more»
- Ph.D. Curriculum & Instruction, University of California, Los Angeles
- M.A. Mexican-American Studies, California State University, Los Angeles
- B.A. Psychology, University of California, Santa Barbara
- 2006 Certificate of Recognition, City of Lubbock City Council
- 2005 Certificate of Recognition, Lubbock County Commissioner Ysidro Gutierrez
- 2004 Certificate of Commendation- Office of California Congresswomen Roybal Allard
- 2004 Certificate of Commendation- San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors
- 2004 Certificate of Commendation- Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Trustees
- 2004 Certificate of Commendation- Office of California Speaker of the Assembly, Fabian Nunez
Munoz, J. (2005). The social construction of alternative education: re-examining the margins of public education for at-risk chicano/a student. The High School Journal,88 (2):3-22.
Munoz, J., Jasis-Ordonez, R., Young, P., & McLaren, P. (2004). The Hidden Curriculum of Domestication. Urban Review, 36(3):169-187.
Munoz, J. (2003). Community Resource Mapping- an Exciting Tool for Decision Making in the Social Studies Classroom. The Social Studies, 94(1): 20-23.
Munoz, J. (2002) (Dis)Integrating Technology with Multiculturalism. Multicultural Education, 8(4), 19-23.
Munoz, J. (2002). [En]Gauging Opportunity: Examining Equity, Access and Appropriateness of Computer Mediated Learning. American Association of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 5(2),65-69.
Munoz, J. (2006). Diversity in Higher Education. Texas Diversity and Leadership Conference. Dallas, Tx.
Munoz, J. (2005). Creating a campus climate of inclusion. Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Commissioner’s Summit. Austin, Tx.
Munoz, J. (2005). Diversity in Higher Education: Understanding Where the Leaks in the Pipeline Begin. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Southwest Educational research Association. New Orleans, La.
Munoz, J. (2004). Community Asset Mapping. California State University, San Bernardino, College of Education Bilingual Educators Colloquium. San Bernardino, California.
Munoz, J. (2004). Diversity in Graduate Education: Obstacles to Equity. California Forum for Diversity in Graduate Education. Oxnard, California.
Munoz, J. (2003a). Examining the Social Construction of At-Risk Students: A Comparative Study of Two Alternative Education Programs.Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association (AERA). Chicago, Illinois.
Texas Diversity Council
- Board of Directors, 2006
State wide Texas organization committed to developing partnership and programs that increase the utility and success of diversity in the workplace and higher education.
Lubbock Housing Authority
- Commissioner, 2006
Working with the city, oversee the allocation and implementation of federal Housing Authority funds related to low income, affordable housing, and Section 8 resources for hundreds of families in and around Lubbock County.
South Plains Boys Scouts
- Board of Directors - Vice President, 2006
Oversee the administration of the Boys Scouts program and resources throughout the South Plains.
Lubbock Boys and Girls Clubs
- Board of Directors - Vice President, 2005 - present
City agency consisting of three clubs. Duties include oversight of agency's Director and development of resources and programs to serve area.
Texas Tech University:
- Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Equity
- Associate Vice Provost, Academic Development
- President's Senior Administrative Council, Member
- Gender Equity Council, Ex Officio
- TTU Senior Administrative Council, Member
- Director, TTU Mentor Tech Programs
- Director, TTU Cross-Cultural Academic Advancement Center
- Search Committee Member, TTU Senior Veterinary
- Search Committee Member, TTU Vice President of Research
- Administrator, $500,000 Faculty Excellence Fund
- Administrator, President's Excellence in Equity Award- Faculty
- Administrator, President's Excellence in Equity Award- Staff
- Administrator, President's Excellence in Equity Award- Students
United States Marine Corps- Reserves 1986-1992-Honorable Discharge, 1992.
Rank at separation, E-5- Sergeant
Campaigns, Commendations, & Awards
- Operation Desert Shield, 1990
- Operation Desert Storm, 1991
- Meritorious Commendation, 1987
- Meritorious Promotion, 1987
- Good Conduct Medal, 1990
- Sea Service Deployment, 1990